LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Overheard at the 39th annual American Music Awards, presented Sunday at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles:
– “We’ve never won an American Music Award, and it’s wonderful to be acknowledged for our music. It’s very sharp, though, so we’ll have to be careful around the house.” – Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine backstage on the pyramid-shaped AMA trophy.
– “We just want to say thank you to the fans. It starts and ends with you and we just love you very, very much.” – Hillary Scott of Lady Antebellum as she accepted the band’s prize for favourite country band, duo or group.
– “Just chase your dreams. I never thought this could be possible. Shout out to all the female rappers, past present and future.” – Nicki Minaj, who beat out Lil Wayne, Kanye West and Jay-Z to win favourite hip-hop album for “Pink Friday.”
“Heavy had a huge effect on all of us. He was inspiring and optimistic. He just always told us or gave us great advice. He always wanted us to do good. He was like a father figure for us.” – Mary J. Blige backstage on Heavy D, who died unexpectedly earlier this month and whom Blige honoured on stage with her performance.
– “I just want to thank my family most of all, my beautiful babies, who just inspire me every day to be a better person.” – Jennifer Lopez accepting the award for favourite Latin music artist.
– “I think the two of us should just get on TV and let our hair fight each other.” – Pompadour-ed presenter Robin Thicke backstage on fellow fluffy-haired singer, Bruno Mars, who was named favourite male pop/rock artist.
– “This is like one of the craziest things that has ever happened to me.” – Taylor Swift accepting the award for artist of the year.